Nominations Window – February 1 – April 14, 2017
Washington State ASCD sponsors this award program in support of ASCD Worldwide and The Whole Child Initiative. This program seeks to identify schools in Washington that have created a school culture with programs that exemplify one or more of the five tenets of The Whole Child Initiative: Safe, Healthy, Engaged, Supported, and Challenged. Awards will be presented within the recipients’ school district at a venue of their choice.
Your participation is essential to ensuring we celebrate the work, dedication and contributions of our colleagues and the programs that make a difference for learning and teaching.
FILL OUT NOMINATION FORM AND SEND
by Email or by Mail to:
Co-Chair, WSASCD State Recognition Awards
DEADLINE: Friday, April 14, 2017
Recognizing educator(s) who contribute to providing a healthy school.
WHOLE CHILD TENET: HEALTHY—To ensure that all students are healthy, ASCD recommends, at a minimum:
- Schools have a health advisory council with students, family, community, and business members.
- Students are routinely screened for immunizations and vision, hearing, dental, and orthopedic concerns.
- Physical Education and health classes emphasize lifetime healthy behaviors.
- Healthy food choices are available at school.
Recognizing educator(s) who contribute to providing a safe and secure school environment.
WHOLE CHILD TENET: SAFE AND SECURE—To ensure that all students are safe, ASCD recommends, at a minimum:
- Students, school staff, and family members establish and maintain behavioral expectations, rules, and routines.
- Families are welcomed by school staff as partners in their children’s education.
Recognizing educator(s) who ensure that all students are adequately engaged.
WHOLE CHILD TENET: ENGAGED—To ensure that all students are adequately engaged, ASCD recommends, at a minimum:
- Students may participate in a wide array of extracurricular activities.
- Schools provide opportunities for community-based apprenticeships, internships, or projects.
- Teachers use active learning strategies such as cooperative learning and project-based learning.
Recognizing educator(s) who ensure that all students are adequately supported.
WHOLE CHILD TENET: SUPPORTED—To ensure that all students are adequately supported, ASCD recommends, at a minimum:
- Every student has an adult advisor or mentor.
- Students have access to school counselors or other student support systems.
Recognizing educator(s) who ensure that all students are challenged academically.
WHOLE CHILD TENET: CHALLENGED ACADEMICALLY—To ensure that all students are challenged academically with a well-balanced curriculum, ASCD recommends, at a minimum:
- Schools provide a well-rounded curriculum for all students.
- Students have access to rigorous programs in arts, foreign languages, and social studies.
Please submit a nomination portfolio which includes the following:
1. The completed nomination form.
2. A minimum of two, but not more than three, references.
3. One letter from the nominee’s immediate district level supervisor.
4. A summary statement (200-word maximum) describing the individual/team/program/community partners and how they have significantly contributed to a whole child education education in Washington State.
5. A description of the Whole Child Approach to teaching and learning in two-pages or less.