Clock Hour Information for Educators:
Who can use clock hours?
- Washington state educator clock hours are used for salary advancement by some employers and for certificate maintenance. Contact your employer regarding using clock hours for salary advancement. Contact OSPI’s Certification office to determine if your certificate requires clock hours at: http://www.k12.wa.us/certification
- When you attend Washington State ASCD professional development events, you can receive clock hours through Washington State ASCD. WSASCD adheres by the clock hour provider policies (defined agency WAC 181-85-045; record keeping WAC 181-85-210; approval standards WAC 181-85-200, and the content standards in WAC 181-85-202.
What are clock hours?
- Clock hours are for teachers in the State of Washington who want to earn continuing education. A clock hour is one hour that someone receives instruction through professional development. The program must be delivered in a training format and outside of a typical meeting. In person or online are appropriate forms of delivery.
How do clock hours work?
- Clock hours are for teachers in the State of Washington who want to earn continuing education. They can use them for salary advancement or to renew their teacher’s certificate.
What WSASCD Clock Hour fees?
- Clock hours are $3.00 per clock hour with a $5.00 minimum. Participants who attend the course will pay a fee to WSASCD for the hours they are entitled to purchase.
Clock Hour Information for Providers:
How do I apply for clock hours for my organization?
- It is easy! All you need to do is complete the online Clock Hour Application. Applications require you to upload a vita/resume for each instructor and an agenda or course outline.
- The applicant will submit a clock hour processing fee of $50 to WSASCD upon approval of clock hour application.
- Please allow two weeks to process your clock hour application. Upon approval, you will receive a Sign-in Sheet (or Attendance Verification Form for online courses), online Clock Hour Registration Form and Course Evaluation Survey for your participants.
- Upon completion of your course, you will be responsible for returning the sign-in sheet(s) to WSASCD and providing your attendees with the links for the Course Evaluation and Clock Hour Registration Form (provided by WSASCD) so that they may claim clock hours. If you are returning an Attendance Verification Form, please alphabetize by the last name the sign-in sheet for ease in tracking and recording participant hours.
I’ve been approved for clock hours for my professional learning course. What do I do next?
- During your course, you will be required to collect signatures from all participants on the Sign-in Sheet or in the case of online course, the number of hours attended tracked in the Attendee Verification Form. Then, you will be required to return the Sign-in Sheet or Attendance Verification Form within three days from the end of your course.
- All participants should be accounted for in the Sign-in Sheet or Attendee Verification Form even if they do not plan on claiming clock hours at that time. Those not verified in the Sign-in Sheet or Attendee Verification Form will not be eligible for clock hours. One hour of instruction equals one clock hour. Clock hours can be claimed in half hour increments such as 12.5 hours.
- Immediately following the course, you will send your participants the link to the Course Evaluation and Clock Hour Request Form -both *provided by WSASCD. WSASCD will keep all clock hour records following the course/event for seven years in accordance with WAC 181-85-045, 181-85-200, 181-85-205.
ASCD online professional learning and ASCD professional learning events:
- As of August 24, 2019, WSASCD is unable to process clock hours for all ASCD online courses and ASCD learning events due to clock hour policy updates. If you are currently enrolled or recently completed an ASCD Online PD course you may apply for academic credit in lieu of clock hours. For more information visit: Academic Credit and Academic Credit Listings Note: The additional cost and requirements are between the educator and the academic institution. ASCD is not involved in the process.
Reach out to Claire Carter at ClaireCarterASCD@gmail.com