January is Whole Child Month in Washington State as declared by Jay Inslee, Governor of the State of Washington. We encourage all people in our State to join us in this special observance.
Community partners, municipalities, agencies, organizations, and individuals are encouraged to declare their support for a whole child approach to educating and serving the children of our community!
Washington State ASCD champions support for a whole child approach to education and recognizes the role of families, educators, and community members in providing a whole child approach to education for each student.
Washington State ASCD’s 2022 Whole Child Proclamation
- WHEREAS, each student deserves to be challenged academically, exposed to a comprehensive education that promotes critical thinking and creativity, and prepared for higher education, meaningful employment in our global economy, and lifelong success; and
- WHEREAS, every student has the right to be supported in their journey of becoming compassionate and kind by educators who are qualified, caring adults, and have access to personalized learning opportunities; and
- WHEREAS, every student has the right to learn about and practice a healthy lifestyle in an environment that is physically and emotionally safe, be empowered to advocate for the social, physical, and mental wellness of themselves and others, take advantage of resources for a healthy well-being, and be hopeful about the future; and
- WHEREAS, every student has the right to opportunities to discover their passions, be curious, love learning, be actively engaged in, and connected to, school and the broader community; and
- WHEREAS, Every student has the right to access educational experiences where they develop the skills, knowledge, and courage to identify and confront personal, systemic and societal bias
- WHEREAS, every student has the right to access in-school and extracurricular community-based programs that provide students with experiences relevant to their individual career, civic, and higher education goals.
- WHEREAS, every student has the right to attend schools that are safe, inclusive, welcoming, and supportive of their development as critical thinkers who contribute to and collaborate with our global and natural world;
NOW, THEREFORE, be it resolved that Washington State ASCD expresses support for a Whole Child approach to education. We recognize that all students have the right to have the skills, knowledge, and courage to identify and confront personal, systemic, and societal bias while ensuring students are challenged, supported, healthy, safe, and engaged; encourages families, educators and community members to support a Whole Child approach to educating for each student.
TO THIS END, Washington State ASCD will celebrate January 2022 as Whole Child Month.